Quick Start Guide for Local Orbit Market Managers
A Local Orbit administrator created your market using the information you provided during the initial sign-up process. Upon market activation, Local Orbit will send you an invite email to join your market as a market manager and finish the setup process.
JOIN YOUR MARKET
- Click the blue Join button in the email to join your market as a market manager.
- You will be prompted to set your name and password — you can change these later, if desired.
- You are now logged into your new market.
- The screen opens to an Action bar, which provide dropdown links to different sections within each category, three Quick Links, which provide links to your Orders, Suppliers, and About page, and a Dashboard, which provide real-time update summaries. The content on the dashboard depends on the market plan you have selected. The dashboard in the example below shows the Accelerate dashboard.
- As your market grows, the dashboard will update automatically with the latest information on your total sales, orders, payments due and upcoming deliveries.
CONFIGURE YOUR MARKET
- Click the Market Admin tab on your action bar and select Markets in the dropdown.
The Imports option is available on the Accelerate plan.
- The Markets page opens with your market name listed as a blue link. Click on your name to to get started.
Markets Section - Market Info tab
- A Market Info page opens.
- Add the name of your market, your subdomain (use only lower-case letters and no special characters or spaces), a logo, and a photo for your About page.
- Add a tagline (e.g. Growing a Healthy Food System), which will appear at the top of the ordering page.
- In the dropdown, select your Time zone, Contact name, and Contact phone. This contact information will show at the bottom of your market web page and in the footer of automated emails sent from the system.
- Select one of the two options regarding Order number appearance on your market. Most markets should choose the Numeric option.
- Enter any social media links for Facebook and Twitter.
- Write up a Profile of your market (e.g. We support our area’s organic and all-natural-farmers while nourishing our community, environment and economy).
- Write up your Policies (e.g. All producers selling through our market are vetted by us to ensure transparency and quality. We focus on local, small producers that pursue sustainable agricultural practices).
- Check the box for This market is open when you are ready to begin. Uncheck the box when you close for the holidays or are on vacation. Local Orbit lets you add an automatic message on your site to let buyers know you are temporarily closed and why.
- Check the box for Auto-activate organizations if you want to allow new buyers and suppliers who request an account at your site to immediately be able to log in and begin buying or selling, respectively. Uncheck if you want to approve the organization first.
- Allow Cross Selling is allowing products from another Local Orbit market to appear on your buyers page, with mutual agreement. This option is available on the Producer, Grow, and Accelerate plans.
- Under Deliveries, you can allow or not allow suppliers to edit some information on their portion of any order. This option is available on the Grow and Accelerate plans.
- Set up Product Label Layout (such as Avery labels for 4-up and 16-up) and decide whether you want to enable the Label Options - Print Multiple Labels Per Item. Branded labels with full traceability is available on the Grow and Accelerate plans.
- Choose an option under Add Item Pricing to determine if an item added to an existing order will be priced based on the product’s price at time of order update or time of original order creation.
- Choose Allowed payment methods to select if you want to allow credit cards and/or purchase orders (i.e. invoices/terms) as forms of payment in your market (you can turn these on and off for each organization).
- Select which Default Organization payment methods will be enabled for newly created organizations.
- When complete, click the Update Market button.
ADD MANAGERS TO YOUR MARKET
Markets Section - Managers Tab
- Click on the Managers tab at the top of your page and enter the email address of any additional market managers you want to add.
- Click the Add Market Manager button to send them an invitation to set up an account.
ADD MARKET AND DELIVERY ADDRESSES FOR YOUR MARKET
Markets Section - Addresses Tab
- Click on the Addresses tab at the top of your page. On this tab you can add your market’s mailing/remit-to address as well as additional addresses for any supplier dropoff and/or buyer pickup locations you may offer.
- In the Add Market Address page, enter a label for your address, such as “North Shore Food Hub” and remaining address and contact details.
- If this address is where buyers should submit payment for purchase order/invoices then check the box to Set as Remit-to-address.
- Click on the delivery information link in blue when you need to edit the information.
Market Section - Deliveries Tab
- Click on the Deliveries tab, then click the Add Delivery button to add a new pickup or delivery schedule.
- Choose a Delivery cycle to set the frequency of this delivery/pickup.
- Bi-weekly This option is only available on the Accelerate plan.
- Monthly by Day This option is only available on the Accelerate plan.
- Month by Date This option is only available on the Accelerate plan.
- Manual This option is only available on the Accelerate plan.
Option A) Fulfillment method: Direct to customer selected in the dropdown
When Direct to customer is selected, suppliers will deliver products directly to the buyer’s location for any orders placed for delivery/pickup cycle.
- Supplier delivery day/times indicate the day and time window during which suppliers are responsible for delivering products directly to the buyer’s location.
(Option B) Fulfillment method: Address selected in the dropdown.
When an address is selected in the Fulfillment method dropdown, suppliers will either deliver products to that address (i.e. a food hub location) or the market will pick up product (see option below) from the farm and bring to that address.
- Select the Supplier delivery day, Delivery start time and Delivery end time. These represent the time-window when the supplier agrees to deliver the product to the address in the Fulfillment method dropdown or when the market will pick up from the supplier’s location (if Market will pick up from supplier location checkbox is enabled).
- Select the Buyer pick up/delivery location in the dropdown. Select either Delivered to Buyer from Market or select the hub location.
- If you select Delivered to Buyer from Market, then the market is responsible for delivering from the address in the Fulfillment method dropdown to the buyer’s location.
- If you select an address, buyers are responsible to come to that location to pick up their orders.
ADD PAYMENT INFORMATION FOR YOUR MARKET
Market Section - Payment Methods Tab
- Click on the Payment Methods tab.
- The credit card entered here will be used to charge your Local Orbit fees. Please ensure you keep your credit card information up to date so your subscription stays active.
Market Section - Fees Tab / Fee Setup
- In the Market Fees section, enter the Market % paid by Supplier. This is the percentage of a order’s Sale Price that the market collects and then pays the remaining amount (Net Price) to the Supplier. The Market Fee % is different than a markup, which is calculated by adding a percentage to the Net Price so make sure to keep that in mind.
- To help you calculate your Market %, use the Sample Price Calculator to calculate either Net Price or Sale Price to see how the Market % you’ve selected affects prices.
- Stripe, the payment processor used by Local Orbit, charges a 2.9% + 30¢ per successful credit card transaction. You can either have the Market pay the payment processing fee or pass that cost on to your Suppliers. For the best Supplier experience, we recommend that your Market absorb that fee if finances allow.
- In the Payment Methods section, indicate any PO Payment Terms in Days, if applicable.
- In the Payment Plan Schedule section, review your Local Orbit plan and fee.
Market Section - Fees Tab / Category Setup This tab is only available on the Accelerate Plan.
- Under the Fees tab, select the Category Fees tab.
- Add a Category and any Market Fees % if you want to set different market fees for specific categories, such as meats or value-added products.
ADD STYLING INFORMATION FOR YOUR MARKET
Market Section - Style Chooser Tab This is only available on the Grow, and Accelerate Plans.
- Select the Style Chooser tab.
- Select a Market Color and Background Color or Image.
ADD CREDIT CARD INFORMATION FOR YOUR MARKET
Market Section - Stripe Tab
- Click on the Stripe tab to set up a Stripe account to accept credit card payments for your market. Funds from any credit card orders are deposited directly into the market’s Stripe account that connects to your checking account. You can set up a new account or connect to existing one, if applicable.
ADD BUYER AND SUPPLIER ORGANIZATIONS FOR YOUR MARKET
Buyers and Suppliers can always register for your market by clicking Request an Account link on the login page or you can manually add and invite Buyers and Suppliers to your market. When adding organizations, you can fill out minimum information and allow the user to finish filling out their own profile.
Market Admin - Organizations Dropdown
- In the action bar, click Market Admin and in the drop-down that appears, click Organizations. An organization is a Buyer or Supplier who is invited to use your market. An organization can be an individual consumer or a business.
Add Organizations Page
- Click the Add Organization button to add a new organization.
- Fill in the Name of the organization in the page that appears. If the organization is an individual consumer, you can put their first and last name for the Organization name.
ADD SUPPLIER ORGANIZATION
- By default, all organization (even suppliers), are allowed to buy in the marketplace.
- If it is a supplier, check the box Can sell products to approve the seller and allow their products to appear in your catalog.
- Check the box Show on Profile page to display the supplier’s profile on the Suppliers page. The Who and How information also appear next to each of this supplier’s products in your catalog.
- Select the Ownership Type in the dropdown, if known.
- Check the box if the organization is Non-profit.
- Add Professional Organization Membership, if known.
- Select the payment methods this organization may use to buy products under the Allowed payment method section. Remember, all organizations are allowed to buy.
- Check Organization is active to activate the Organization in your market. If this box is unchecked, no user from this organization will be allowed to log in.
- Add the Primary Address. In most markets, this is the address where the market manager will mail the supplier’s payments.
- Click Add Organization button.
- The suppliers can modify or add to this information when they log in.
- If the new organization is a buyer, make sure the checkboxes Can sell products and Show on Profile page are unchecked.
- Select Buyer Type.
- Enter any Professional Organization Membership.
- Click Organization is active to activate the account.
- Under Allowed payment methods select what payment methods this buyer can use. Purchase orders indicate this buyer will be invoiced on delivery and will pay with terms. Credit cards purchases will be charged at order time and funds will deposited directly in the market’s Stripe account.
- Add the buyer’s Primary Address. By default this address is where product will be delivered to, if applicable. Enter an appropriate Address Label to describe this location such as Main Cafe.
- Click Add Organization button.
ADD BUYER AND SUPPLIER MANAGERS/USERS FOR YOUR MARKET
Organization Section - User Tab
- In the action bar under Market Admin, select Organization in the dropdown.
- You are currently on the Info tab for the Organization
- Select the Users tab (next to the Info tab) for the Organization.
- Add the email address of the new user and click the Invite New User button.
- The new user will receive an invite email to join the organization, as seen below.