Products can be added by suppliers and market managers. This section covers adding products as a market manager.
Adding products takes three steps. Each step is on a separate tab.
- Product Info tab - name, photo, description, and units
- Inventory tab - quantity available for purchase
- Pricing tab - price per unit and price breaks
STEP ONE: PRODUCT INFO
- From the Market Manager Dashboard, click on Products in the actions menu bar to open the Products List page. Note: You can return to the Dashboard at any time by clicking the link in the blue menu bar at the top.
- The Products page opens displaying any previously listed products. Note: When you have completed adding a product, you return to this page for review.
- Click on the Add New Product button.
- You will be taken to the Product Info tab (on the Add Product page).
- Select the Supplier Organization for which you are adding products, in the dropdown (i.e. ABC Farm). Note: Only users that manage multiple organizations, such as Market Managers, will see this dropdown.
ADD PRODUCT INFO
- Enter the Product Name starting with the item name followed by the variety or type, then any other essential attributes (i.e. Carrots, Oxheart - Certified Organic).
- Select the Category by typing a few letters in the Category dropdown to search (i.e. Carrot).
- Add an awe-inspiring Photo that accurately represents your product to buyers. Here are some aspects of a great product photo:
- it shows the buyer your actual product (not a stock photo)
- it reflects the comparative size, such as showing this item next to a quarter, ruler, or hand
- it clearly defines what a single unit looks like (i.e. one bunch of radishes)
- it displays the inside of the produce, if applicable (i.e. a cut open watermelon)
- it is square aspect ratio, preferably 400 pixels wide by 400 pixels high
- it shows the buyer your actual product (not a stock photo)
- Click the Choose File button to select a product photo from your hard drive. If you don't add a photo, a default image is inserted.
- Add a Short Description that clearly identifies the product and possibly a special detail. (i.e. Rich orange flesh pumpkin great for roasting).
- Add a Long Description that further outlines your product. For example you could talk about the history of the product, best ways to use the product, a recipe, or information that indicates how it is unique. For example,
Check out our assortment of winter squash/pumpkin from our certified organic Waialua farm. This harvest is a medley of St. Croix, Seminole, and "Chinese Pumpkin" varieties. Skin color varies from green to tan and all have a rich orange flesh that is great for roasting, soups, pies, etc. Each pumpkin weighs between 6 and 12 pounds.
- If your product is Certified Organic, check the box, but it is best if you also include the words Certified Organic at the end of the Product Name (i.e. Avocado, Bombucha - Certified Organic).
- Add the Unit type (i.e. Quart, Pounds, Ounces, Stalks, Pieces). You can offer different units for the same product by clicking "Add Unit" when editing a product. Note, the "Add Unit" link is only visible when editing an existing product. (i.e. Bibb Lettuce - Head)
- Optional: Enter a short Unit description if a particular product unit needs further clarifying, such as defining Bunch ("4-6 stalks each") or Case ("25 lbs each"). Warning: This is not where you enter the number of units you have available for sale.
- Optional: Add a Product Code if your internal process use a coding system (i.e. KALE-002)
- The "More product info" or Where, Who, How is checked by default and will auto-fill from the Suppier's profile. Leave this box checked unless your product has a different Where, Who, or How than the default.
- Your product will be available automatically on all market Delivery Times. You can choose to only offer this product on specific delivery days, if your market allows it.
- If you participate in more than one Market, you might see delivery days listed separately. Use the checkboxes to select which delivery options you want.
Example of completed Product page below.
- When you are finished, click the Save and Continue button at the bottom, which opens up the Inventory tab.
STEP TWO: INVENTORY
- On the Inventory tab (on the Add Inventory page), enter the Quantity of units available for upcoming deliveries. Enter "0" if that product unit is currently unavailable. Note: You'll see a checkbox "Show Advanced Inventory Options" but until you get comfortable with inventory, leave it unchecked. Use the edit button if you need to modify. Save.
- Click the Continue to Pricing button.
Example of completed Inventory page below.
STEP THREE: PRICING
- On the Pricing tab (on the Add Prices page), you may either modify the Net Price, which is the amount the Supplier is paid for one unit, or the Sale Price, which is the unit price that the buyer sees and includes the Market Fee. Depending on which price you edit, the other corresponding price will update automatically.
- By default, prices are set for All Buyers. But, you can set up special prices for particular buyers by selecting their Organization in the Buyer dropdown on the left.
- Prices are calculated using the base Market Fee by default. If you want to customize the fee for a particular price entry, select Product and specify a fee percentage that will only apply to that price entry.
- Click Save for the price to be added. The Save button changes to an Edit icon (for revising an entry) or a Trash can icon (for deleting an entry).
- To add another entry with price breaks for volume, click Add Price. Then, set Min Qty to the minimum quantity required for that reduced price. For example, you could have one price row at $8.33/jar net price for a Min Qty of 1 but add another row for volume (i.e. $6.67/jar net price for a Min Qty of 6).
- Your product is now complete. Click on Add Another Product button if you want to add another product.
- If you are done, click on Return to the Product List link at the bottom to see a listing of all the products.